Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Jack O'Callahan Mystery: The Curious Death of Mr. Grove, Issue #10


    Jack took the phone from Jenn.
    “Hello?” he asked, grimacing from the pain in his arm.
    “Is this Jack O’Callahan? The detective?”  came a smooth female voice. The voice was soothing and intimidating all at the same time.
    “Yes, yes it is. Who am I speaking too?” asked the detective.
    “Who I am is not important. What is important is that you listen to what I have to say. As my agent demonstrated in the alley, if we wanted you dead, you already be.”
    “Who is this?” questioned the detective.
    “I already told you that who I am is not important!” growled the voice, “But I am calling to instruct you to cease your investigation of the death of Mister Grove. Should you refuse my request and continue your investigation the consequences will be most severe.”
    “What are you talking about?” asked Jack.
    “You are fairly familiar and involved with the runner named Cordell Vikhrov. Should you continue to investigate the death of Mister Grove, she will… find herself without breath.” The icy tone of the voice sent a shiver up Jack’s spine.
    “Alright. I’ll halt my investigation,” relented Jack.
    “Good boy. Now, You are to call Miss Maxine Grove and inform her that you cannot continue the case. Do this immediately after I hang up. I will know if you don’t” commanded the voice.
    “Okay.” The phone clicked as the person on the line hung up. Jack blinked. He looked down at the phone and typed in Ms. Grove’s CommNet address. The phone began to beep slowly. Ms. Grove answered.
    “Hello Detective!” she greeted. 
    “Good Morning Ms. Grove. I have some unfortunate news,” said Jack.
    “What is it?” she asked.
    “I am sad to inform you that I cannot investigate your case anymore. I am fully prepared to return your payment.” revealed Jack. 
    “Oh. I’m sorry to hear that. Please Mr. O’Callahan, keep the money. You did what you could, and I am thankful for that. I will send the rest of your payment to your office. Thank you for what you have done,” explained Ms. Grove.

    “Thank you for your business Ms. Grove,” said Jack and he hung up. He dropped the phone onto his desk. He leaned back in his chair. Who was that mysterious voice? Could she have been bluffing? I don’t know… Didn’t want to chance it either.

Thanks for Reading! 
Picture Source: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9587/img6527y.jpg

1 comment: