Thursday, February 19, 2015

I'm sick of One-shot Adventures: A Rant

Okay. Context! Here's how it is. I've been playing tabletop RPGs now for about 6 years. I began on the idea of a group of people getting together every weekend or every other weekend to play an campaign. We slayed dragons, defeated the drow, killed the goblins and stole their shoes, and numerous other shenanigans...

After a while the group fell apart after about a year and a half, as was expected. I started another group that fell apart after breakups and real-life happened. 

It was about half a year afterwards which I discovered Pathfinder, published by Paizo, and Pathfinder Society. I was involved with PFS for about two years until I started to become bored of the drop-in/drop-out style. Don't get me wrong. I love Pathfinder, but I'd rather play in a Non-Society environment. 

I discovered D&D Encounters, There I could play a similar style game to Pathfinder, but we typically had the same group of folks at the same table every week. I loved it! It was fantastic! I ran several seasons, with the same players, though there were some drop-ins and drop-outs. The story was interesting and easy to prep. But again once the group began to grow and with the fluctuating player attendance, I began to grow weary... This coupled with my extreme dislike of one of the regulars lead to my attendance rate dropping to once in a blue moon.

It just appears to me that a lot of people in the groups have been only introduced to the drop-in/drop-out style of Organized Play. When I bring up a setting that I really really really want to play, or has been festering in my mind for a while, most people seem really interested, but as soon as I bring up an ongoing campaign of 2+ sessions, everyone gets cold feet! What?! 
Now I understand people have jobs and real-life to deal with, and I'm willing to work around that. 

Since I can't seem to get people to commit to a game, I'm forced to write down the adventures I want to GM into story format. I actually explained a setting to one of my friends and their response was "Ooh that sounds cool! When are we going to play that?"
My response? "Well, we aren't." Reason: Because I brought it up before and no one wanted to commit to a campaign so I went and made my own characters, and wrote the story I wanted to tell... (I still am writing that story)

It's so frustrating to go through the incessant cycle of one-shots were I am handed a character sheet and then after the game is over, I never see that character again! I love to develop characters, give them backstory, really get into their head... but in a one-shot? Ha! yeah that's not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment