Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Dream

A great man once said, "I have a dream..." I too have a dream.

My dream is not to different from that of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. My dream is that one day, we can cast aside the nonsense that blinds us from seeing the world as it is. A dream that one day we can stop being petty, and self centered. A dream that one day, we can accept everyone as they are.

"And what is everyone?" you may ask. Well, it's actually quite simple. We are Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Haplorhini Hominidae Homo Sapien. In simpler terms, human. We are all human beings. When you strip away the nationalities, religion, diagnoses, race, sexual orientation, and gender, we are all the same. Human.

Now, you are probably asking, "Galen, what brought this on? What makes you say this?" To be completely honest? The shallow malarkey that is a game we all play; ever since we reached our teen years. The ever lasting quest for companionship, the game of love, dating.

I may be only in the first year of my second decade, but this does not mean that I am stupid or immature. I learned about death when I was six. I distrusted "God" when I was eight. I finally gave up on the belief in "God" when I was fifteen. I searched for answers that the Catholic Faith couldn't answer. I learned about religion, and history. I strove to find the answers to the questions that possessed my young mind. I found Asatru, but even then, it's not enough. I turned to fantasy and daydream to hide from my ignorance. I steeped myself in made up worlds filled with monsters I could slay because I couldn't slay the demons that haunt me.

I have another quote from a great man.

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

This one is from Steve Jobs, the creator of Apple Inc. This quote is something that I listen to everyday. Because as narcissistic as it sounds, I believe I embody everything this quote says. I see myself as a misfit, a rebel, a troublemaker, a round peg in a square hole. Thus, I am one of the crazy ones. Why? Because I believe that I can change the world. I believe that I can show people that we are all just human.

I had someone tell me, "You can't though [change the world] You'll drive yourself insane. Just be happy with what you can't change."

Bullshit. Absolute bull hockey. Nonsense. Malarkey. Stupidity. Rubbish. Poppycock! What if all the great people that we praise were just happy with what they couldn't change? Where would we be as humanity? I don't know, and I don't want to find out.

A saying I heard as a child, "Can't never could." Why should I think that I can't change the world. If I did, I never could.

So this is my dream.

I dream of a world where I can not be afraid of speaking my mind. A world where I don't have to worry that I'll be judged or laughed at because I'm Aspergers/Autistic. A world were others won't be judged on how they dress, or what sexual orientation they identify as. A world where we stop focusing on what we have, and on who we are. And who are we? Humans.

This is my dream.

1 comment: