Monday, September 15, 2014

A Jack O'Callahan Mystery: Death by Diamonds and Pearls, Issue #1

Issue #8 of Black Leather and Blackmail will be released on schedule. I will finish Black Leather and Blackmail, don't worry. The release date of subsequent issues of Death By Diamonds and Pearls has not yet been decided.  Cheers!

-----------------
     Jenn was already at her desk when Jack arrived, late monday morning. She greeted him with a bright smile.
     “Mornin’ Jenn,” said Jack, stepping up to the coat rack and hanging up his coat and hat
     “Morning. You have a beautiful woman in your office, and I mean beautiful. I would turn lesbian for her,” mentioned Jenn. Jack paused and held up his hand.
     “Didn’t need to hear that,” commented Jack.
     “Just saying,” grinned Jenn, her eyebrow raised.
     “Thanks for the heads up though.”
     “It is my job,” smiled Jenn. Jack nodded and stepped into his office.

     Standing by the window was a woman. She wore a plain, sequined ebony  dress, that clung to her curves like a monkey to a vine. The neck of the dress was cut in a v-shape, not exposing anything but enough to spark the imagination. She had legs that went on for miles, accentuated by a pair of raven leather six inch heeled, platform pumps. Her curled copper hair hung around her shoulders curtaining her soft feminine face. Her grey eyes where lined with soft lines of eyeliner and her lips where as red as a freshly picked Jonagold apple. A black handbag hung on her shoulder. She eyed Jack as he entered. Jenn was right. She’s gorgeous.
     “Your secretary said I could wait inside. She’s such a beauty,” admitted the woman.
     “Yeah, she is. What can I do for you Miss…?” began Jack.
     “LaChance, It’s French, but you can call me Lucy,” she grinned. Jack raised his eyebrows. He walked over to his desk and gestured to the chair in front of it. 
     “What can I do for you Miss LaChance?” asked Jack.
     “Please call me Lucy,” she requested, twirling a lock of hair around her finger.
     “Alright Lucy, what do you need?” Jack inquired.
     “I am the owner of a piece of jewelry, a diamond and pearl necklace,” Jack leaned forward.
     “Alright. Let me guess it was stolen.” 
     “Yes, you have that right,” she stated.
     “So, go to the police. Don’t waste my time,” growled Jack. He reached into his jacket, withdrew a cigarette and lit it.
     “The FBI and the Chicago Police department is already looking into it,” stated Lucy.
     “Then why the dìyù are you here telling me this gǒu shǐ?” hissed Jack.
     “Because I don’t trust the police. The officers in this city are some of the most corrupt I have ever seen, and I’ve done business in Singapore,” elaborated Lucy, “ I don’t want some dirty cop giving my diamonds to some mob boss.” Jack reclined in his chair, taking a drag on his cigarette.
     “So you want me to go around the law. You do realize that I could lose my license right?” questioned Jack.
     “Yes, I’m aware. But I will make it worth your while. Would two-hundred thousand be enough for you?” 
     “You have my attention,” said Jack.
     “The necklace was stolen from the Field Museum last Thursday. It was on loan for the Diamonds of the World exhibit. It disappeared with out trace. Nothing showed up on the cameras and the security systems didn’t pick up any disturbances,” she began. Jack raised his eyebrow. “The FBI are taking their sweet time and the thief is probably already found a fence. It’s a family heirloom, and I want it back in my possession as soon as possible.”
     “I’m not so sure. If the FBI is involved this could get incredibly dangerous for me. There is no way they will let me look at their case files,” explained Jack. She stood and stepped around his desk.
     “Mister O’Callahan, I searched for a private detective to take this case. It took a glowing recommendation from Maxine Grove for me to find you.” Jack could smell her perfume, a floral, yet woody fragrance.
     “I had to turn down that case part way through,” commented Jack.
     “Yes but she said she liked your professionalism,” smiled Lucy. Jack took a long draw off his cigarette.
     “I’ll take it. But make it three-hundred thousand and you got a deal.” 
     “If you insist,” she breathed. She leaned down and her lips brushed his cheek, “Thank you.” She straightened, smoothed her skirt and reached into her bag. Jack stiffened, but relaxed when she withdrew a business card. “Call me if you need anything.” Jack watched her as she left. Her hips where a pendulum, swaying with each step. He heard her say a few words to Jenn, before stepping into the hall. Jack looked at a the card, and twirled it in his fingers. Jenn knocked on the door.
     “Well?” she asked.
     “We got a new case,” replied Jack. Jenn leaned against the desk. She pulled a tissue from her pocket and licked it. “What are you doing?” asked Jack.
     “You got a little lipstick here,” said Jenn wiping his cheek,        “Wouldn’t want your lady friend to see this. There, good as new.”
     “Thanks, what would I do without you?” asked Jack.

     “Well, you might have had to explain yourself,” smiled Jenn.

--------------
Next>>

Please support me on Patreon! Donations are on a monthly basis, so you can make sure you don't go over your carefully constructed budget! Every donation is a step to my goal of being able to write full time! Help me realize my goal here!

Model: Katy Ann
Check out her Facebook Page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment