Thursday, April 9, 2015

Are you sure?

     Something was wrong. He opened his eyes and turned to do discover his wife was missing. He sat up and looked around the bedroom. He tossed back the sheets and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. A pair of metal dog-tags hung around his neck encased in rubber silencers; they rested against his toned bare chest. The alarm clock on the bedside table informed him that it was three-thirty in the morning. He got up, and stretched. Yawning, he headed into the hall. There was the distinctive woosh and thump of the back sliding-door. He made his way downstairs and through the kitchen. 
His wife was standing out in the backyard, staring up into the clear night sky. The stars twinkled like millions of candles. He slid the door open and was greeted by the cool summer air. He shivered, wishing he had put on a shirt. The grass was soft beneath his toes. His wife, in her tank top and shorts didn’t seem to hear him. Her brunette bob fluttered as a light breath blew past her. Her argent skin seemed to shine in the dual-moonlight.
     “Sweetheart?” he said. Her head adjusted slightly, acknowledging him. “What are you doing out her? Is everything okay? 
     “Yeah…” she muttered, “Just needed to think some.”
     “You had another nightmare, didn’t you?” He asked. She nodded. He wrapped his arms around her waist, and slouched to rest his chin on her shoulder. She barely reached his shoulder when she stood next to him. 
     “Whatchya looking at?”
     “The stars,” she muttered, turning her head skywards.
     “Thinking about the war?” he asked.
     “Yeah.”
     “It’s been a long time.” 
     “Yeah, but sometimes it feels like yesterday,” she commented.

     They stood there watching the sky until the sun’s rays began to peek over the horizon. 
     “Your daughter be up soon,” he yawned, releasing her from the embrace for the first time. She turned to him. Her natural lavender eyes looked into his hazel.
     “My daughter?” she hissed playfully.
     “Yuuuupp!” he stretched, grinning. She returned the smile and wrapped her arms around his neck.
     “I love you.”
     “I love you too,” he said before giving her a quick peck on the cheek.
     “Chris, I want to go back,” she whispered.
     “Back to Elysia? Are you sure?
     “Yeah. I’m sure.”
     “Alright.”

---------------
I created these characters for a Halo/Red Vs. Blue Fan Fiction I wrote a while back. Yeah, I wrote a fan fiction, deal with it. I thought I had lost all the files when my laptop crashed, but I was looking through my iCloud documents  I discovered two of the documents. I read through them again and oh my god how my writing has improved! But I remembered how much I liked the characters of Chris, Jeanne, Alex, and Liz. So I thought about for a bit and decided to bring them into this Far flung Sci-Fi Universe I had in the back of my head. Those of you that have read the Jack and Rubi stuff might be familiar with the planet of Elysia, but I can't remember if it was in my reboot or the original...

But anyways, after spending 80+ pages with the characters they got burned into my mind. I love war stories, and enjoy military strategy and such. I've been toying with the idea of a military type story, and might do it with these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment