Thursday, September 11, 2014

Rubi Rascke: Runner for Hire #9


      Rubi and Cal found themselves in a quiet bar along East Washington Street. It wasn’t very big and was in the basement of an restaurant. Futbol highlights were being displayed on the info-screen. Being in the middle of the week not many people where there. Rubi and Cal sat on the far end of the bar against the wall. Rubi sipped on a pint of beer and Cal had a White Russian clutched in her hand; their eyes were fixed on the soccer game. At the end of the bar opposite to where Rubi and Cal were sitting was a young woman, college aged. She was a brunette, her wavy hair pulled back into a ponytail. Her face was thin and young. She wore a v-neck shirt with the motion ‘W’, of the University of Wisconsin emblazoned on the front, and an unzipped sweatshirt. Rubi’s eyes shot over to the girl periodically, after while Cal began to notice.
      “Whatchu looking at?” asked Cal, looking where Rubi was looking. She noticed the girl and spun her head back to Rubi, grinning. Rubi looked at her.
      “What?” 
      “You think she’s cute, don’tcha!” grinned Cal.
      “What? No!” exclaimed Rubi.
      “Yeah you do!” Cal gave Rubi a toothy grin.
      “Shut up!” growled Rubi into her glass.
      “I’m going to go talk to her!” quipped Cal, spinning around on the stool.
      “No! Wait!” cried Rubi, “Shit.” She turned to her drink as Cal bounced over the the girl. Rubi watched Cal introduce herself and strike up a conversation. Rubi got the bartender’s attention. “I’ll have a scotch, double, no ice.” The bartender poured the drink for Rubi. As Rubi took the glass she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye. She glanced over. The girl was coming over. Shit… 
      “Mind if I sat down?” she asked.  Rubi shook her head. “I’m Dani. Your friend said that I should come talk to you”, said the girl. God damn it Cal, thought Rubi. She shot a dirty look towards Cal, who only gave her a toothy grin and a thumbs up. Rubi looked down into her glass. Rubi’s eyes flashed up at the girl. The girl smiled at her. Rubi struggled for words, leaving them in an awkward silence.
      “So, Dani? Is that short for something?” grumbled Rubi, taking a swig.
      “Yeah, Danielle.” 
      “Cool,” muttered Rubi.
      “What about you?” asked Ella,”What’s your name?
      “Uhhh… Rubmm,” gurgled Rubi into her glass.
      “Rubi?” asked the girl.
      “Yeah,” muttered Rubi. An awkward silence descended on them. Rubi sipped on her scotch.
      “I like your jacket,” quipped Dani. Rubi grunted. “So, you like Kindstod?” asked the girl, referring to one of the patches on Rubi’s jacket. 
      “Yeah. They’re one of my favs,” replied Rubi. She glanced over to the girl sitting next to her, “You don’t look like someone who would enjoy that kind of music,” she noted. The girl shrugged.
      “My older brother got me into it. He was really big on the whole ‘anti-culture’ idea,” mentioned Dani.
      “Cool,” said Rubi, “You a student or something?”
      “Yeah, I’m about to start my senior year. What about you?” asked Dani.
      “I work.” 
      “What do you do?” questioned the girl. Rubi hesitated. I can’t tell her that I’m a runner… She’ll probably freak out. Uh… Say something!
      “Computers,” she blurted, “I work with computers.”
      “Software or hardware?” asked Dani.
      “Both,” replied Rubi. 
      “Cool! My degree is in Graphic Design and Programing.” Dani looked at her watch, “Oh! It’s getting late, I gotta get going!” She pulled a pen from her pocket, and scrawled her CommNet address on a napkin. “Give me a buzz sometime alright?”
      “Sure,” muttered Rubi.
      “Have a good night!” The girl smiled and headed towards the door. Cal bounded over, her smile spreading ear to ear. She jumped atop the stool. Rubi glared at her.
      “Suka,” hissed Rubi. Cal opened her mouth in mock offense.
      “How could you!” She grinned, “You got her digits! Come on. You owe me a thanks.”
      “Why?” asked Rubi.
      “Because with out me, you would never have even talked to her!” Cal pointed out.
      “Yeah, I guess your right. Thanks,” said Rubi sheepishly.

      “I’m always happy to play wingman for you,” grinned Cal. She wrapped her arm around her friend and gave her a loose hug.

--------------

Please support me on Patreon! Donations are on a monthly basis, so you can make sure you don't go over your carefully constructed budget! Every donation is a step to my goal of being able to write full time! Help me realize my goal here!

Picture Source: Evey Dantès
Check out her Facebook Page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment