Saturday, August 16, 2014

Frozen's "Let It Go"- Why It Resonated With Me

I recently watched Disney's Frozen for the first time. The movie struck home for me. Something about Elsa's story just grabbed me. I saw elements of myself in her. We all know the song "Let It Go". There have been dozens of parodies and fan versions. But when I heard it, the lyrics had a deep resonance. So I thought I would go through the lyrics and highlight the parts that for me in particular hit so hard, and explain why. Now it's really hard to put into words, the exact emotion that the song gave me. I don't have words for it. This is the best I can do.

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation,
And it looks like I'm the queen.


As someone with Aspergers, I definitely have the feeling that I live in a world of isolation. A world where I see things so different than other people, that they can't even begin to understand what is going through my head.

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I tried!

So, I often have the feeling that there is a mass of frustration constantly pulsating inside me. I try to keep it under wraps, keeping it hidden. But sometimes I can't control it anymore, and it bursts forth like a river breaking a dam.

I don't care
What they're going to say

Sometimes I think I care too much. I wish I could just not care about what people say about me. Though, I really don't care what people think of my writing. My writing is something that for me is a powerful expression of how I feel or how I view things.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all!

I often tend to run away to a special place when I become stressed. There I am safe from everything, the monsters in the dark, the creeping fear of not knowing what is coming next. 

It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!

When I put my mind to something, or I get an idea in my head, this is exactly how I think. There is nothing to stop me. Also when I write I have no rules for what I can and can't say. It's just me, the blank page and my mind. I am free; free from social constraints, free to do what I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment